English for Visas

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires certain standards of English language proficiency for a range of different visas. They accept the following English language tests:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test (also known as Certificate in Advanced English).​

Depending on which visa you are applying for, the English language requirements vary, however the DIBP uses the same terminology (Functional, Vocational, Competent, Proficient and Superior) across all visa subclasses. For Skillselect visas, your level of English can contribute to your points test result.